11 Strange Facts About the Food You Eat Every Day
Okay so we don’t actually know the food you’re eating every day, but it’s safe to assume you’ve at least consumed the food on this list a few times this year. Unless you’re allergic, or afraid of trying new food. Even if you’re not eating an apple every day, you’re still going to freak when you read the first item on our list of 11 strange facts about food.
- Apples are technically a part of the rose family. Try giving your significant other one for valentines day.
- Coconut water can be used as blood plasma in survival situations.
- Rumor has it ketchup was once used to treat diarrhea and a variety of other things. Imagine your doctor writing you a prescription for ketchup…
- Honey won’t expire in your life time. Scientists have feasted on honey buried in Egypt. No wonder they were packing it for use in the afterlife !
- No matter what they tell you, yams and sweet potatoes are not the same thing! Yams are native to Africa and Asia and have a black bark like skin as opposed to the orange / copper skin you find on sweet potatoes.
- Strawberries, Raspberries and Blackberries are not actually berries. They’re considered an aggregate accessory fruit.
- Pumpkins, Bananas, and Avocado are all considered berries. Those of you who don’t like “fruit pie” might be really confused.
- You can die from drinking coffee. You’d have to drink about 100 cups pretty quickly for a lethal dose.
- Bacon has been around since 1500 BC. They say Rome wasn’t built in a day, now we know why.
- Ripe cranberries can bounce just like a rubber ball.
- White chocolate isn’t technically chocolate. The main ingredient is coco butter, a byproduct of getting coco beans.