15 Delicious Facts About Ice Cream
It’s summertime and it’s hot! So when you’re out and about or even at home, what snack do you typically look for to cool down? ICE CREAM! I bet you didn’t know these cool facts about ice cream though!
- Where did ice cream come from? Many people do not the know the origin of ice cream but some speculate that it dates back to A.D. 54-68 with Roman Emperor Nero while other sources claim it got its start in A.D. 618-907 in China’s T’ang Period.
- Aside from vanilla and chocolate, what do you think are the most popular ice cream flavors? Butter pecan, mint chocolate chip, and strawberry are the next three popular flavors.
- Out of the seven days of the week, ice cream is bought the most on Sundays.
- Kids 2-12 and adults over 45 eat the most ice cream!
- What is the number one topping on ice cream? Chocolate syrup of course!
- The month of July is National Ice Cream Month with July 21st is National Ice Cream Day.
- On average, Americans eat 20 quarts per year! That’s enough to fill up 5 gallons of milk!
- The ice cream cone was invented at the 1904 World Fair in St. Louis. Some claim that Ernest Hamwi, a Syrian concessions vendor, curled a waffle cookie into a receptacle for ice cream.
- Ben and Jerry’s, well-known for their popular ice cream flavors, started in Vermont in an old gas station which was converted to an ice cream shop. Some of their retired flavors include Peanut Butter and Jelly, Rainforest Crunch, White Russian, and Devil’s Food Chocolate.
- Surprisingly, air is an important ingredient in ice cream, it keeps the ice cream from freezing completely solid!
- It takes 12 pounds of milk to make one gallon of ice cream! That’s a lot of dairy!
- The World Record for the Largest Ice Cream Scoop Pyramid is held by Carvel. In 2002, Carvel constructed the pyramid of 3,894 scoops.
- It takes an average of 50 licks to finish one scoop of ice cream!
- A “brain freeze” is triggered when ice cream touches the roof of your mouth causing blood vessels in your head to dilate.
- California holds the record for producing the most ice cream in the United States but the United States holds the record for producing the most in the world.
So now that you know the history of ice cream and some cool facts, go get yourself an ice cream and cool down!